Saturday, July 27, 2013

Thirsty Summer ...

Here's a poem by Mary Oliver I think fits the moment ...

Thirst
Another morning and I wake with thirst 
for the goodness I do not have. I walk 
out to the pond and all the way God has 
given us such beautiful lessons. Oh Lord, 
I was never a quick scholar but sulked 
and hunched over my books past the 
hour and the bell; grant me, in your 
mercy, a little more time. Love for the 
earth and love for you are having such a
long conversation in my heart. Who 
knows what will finally happen or 
where I will be sent, yet already I have 
given a great many things away, expect-
ing to be told to pack nothing, except the 
prayers which, with this thirst, I am 
slowly learning.
Such subtle and loving language to greet the day. I find myself loving summer so much and loving the God of all seasons, I feel like I'm taking a small journey into something deeply beautiful and new this year. Maybe it's the new book I'm writing, maybe it's the air, but everything feels so new and fresh -- like love. Yes, that's what it is -- it's love. His love. Can you feel it?

No comments:

Post a Comment