Saturday, October 23, 2010

Alone with God

   The Lord is doing a new thing and He wants His children in on it.  I am in a set-apart place, away from the mainstream, separate from the loudness of the world and its busy-ness.  It's a place of quiet and work.  I'm writing my new book, alone with God and my work-- but I'm not without trials.  Constant interruptions, problems surround me left and right, yet I feel in the midst of all storms I can create my own private sancutary and retreat.  We don't always need the bucolic bliss of solitude beside a mountain stream, or a month at the seashore-- we can create our own retreat in the midst of the storm, like the cleft of the rock.  I think I'd like to name my writing studio "Cleft of the Rock."  I've been calling it my Upper Room, but it's more than that.  My Upper Room has congealed to the size of a pocket cleft, yet by the Spirit of God, embraces the entire world. 
   I can do nothing without Him.  The truth is, I don't want to do anything without Him.  How foolsih would that be?  I'm accustomed to separating myself from the world and locking myself away with the Lord Jesus alone-- this is nothing new-- yet, somehow this time set apart from the world around me, it feels fresh and new, like it's the first time I ever fasted and prayed.  I miss the woods and the hills and the sunrises and sunsets, but up here in my attic studio, I am with Him, alone with Him, and that's better than anything.

3 comments:

  1. Can it be? Can it really be? I have found another creative Christian soul! Yes, God has heard my cry! I found your blog via Rebecca Ersfeld's blog. I do painting's based on my pastor's blog and have a vintage shop on Etsy with my mother in law and have been emmersed with mainstream mixed media world and have been longing to find Christian mixed media artists/writers. Oh happy day! Can't wait to follow your blog. I love what you said about not having to "get away" for a retreat because that's what I'm constantly trying to do, get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in the cleft as well--never this long before. At first I rebelled, grew lonely, cried. But He kept saying, "Who shall separate you from my love?" There were areas in my heart He was targeting--fear, unbelief, self. He is here like never before, teaching me the steadfastness of His love.

    When I read your words--so beautiful--how this feels like the first time, I relate so well. He is bringing us--his bride--back to first-love intimacy again. In this cocoon I have come to the place where I am losing all desire for the things of the world, and I only want to be where He is.

    Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading the words you pen from this holy place. Many blessings, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete