Saturday, May 1, 2010

Love from Traffic School

I'm going to be totally open with you.  I spent the day in traffic school today, and I don't mind telling you I'm a bit traumatized now.  It felt like an 8-hour horror show, mixed in with a fear of driving because-"they'll-get-you-with-a-ticket-no-matter-what." I sat there with 30 other people, our mouths agape, feeling terrible about ourselves and wondering if we should buy bus passes.  We were shown videos of horrible accidents including decapitations, life cripplings, and bloody deaths of teenagers and children.  We saw cars fly off cliffs, cars burst into flames against trees, cars run  into one another in huge pile-ups, and children and animals die because of traffic infractions like talking on cellphones and driving without seat belts.  I'm telling you, when it came time for lunch break, nobody could move.  We sat there like 30 stunned and shocked sparrows on an electrified wire.  I sat next to a young girl tattooed and pierced all over who had a DUI and it was costing her $23,000.00.  The girl's pierced face is still before me, and I'm thinking it will take her a very long time to pay off that DUI.  Such a precious girl, so cherished by Jesus, and  yet she made a mistake that will affect the rest of her life.  Thank the Lord, she didn't kill or injure anyone, and God, in His mercy, heard her prayers and helped her through the lengthy process and financial hardship.  Most of us in the class had tickets for things like rolling stops, red lights, speeding, cell phones, and one guy for making a U-turn in the middle of the block.  We weren't exactly what you'd call criminals, but we sat there in our guilt and shame wondering how we could make this a positive experience.  I decided to make it a learning experience and so I took notes as though I were in a college class.  (Ask me anything.)  By the end of the day we were all completely spent, exhausted, fried.  You should have seen the older people.  They could barely stand up.  It had been a harrowing day of looking at the reality of driving with stress the horrors on the road.  When we finally signed out and received our little certificates of completion we filed out like silent lambs to the slaughter.   I could hardly drive home.  We had been programmed to think we'd do something wrong and get pulled over, and we'd have no way out of it, even if we were right.  I had to go before the Lord in the Throne Room with 2 Peter 1:2-4:  "Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue..."  Ah yes,this verse too-- "happy is the person who finds wisdom and gains understanding..."  (Prov. 3:13). 

6 comments:

  1. Good Morning Marie
    This sounds awful, and a good lesson for this lead foot driver. I have tried to slow it down and I am working on it... I think I will work a little harder.
    Many blessings to you this glorious Sunday!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking at this as an answer to prayer. Recently I asked the Lord to slow me down and be more careful without costing me a ticket. He did...through you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God, Donna Marie! I hereby proclaim you will never get a traffic ticket and have to go to traffic school in Jesus' name. Love, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Becky, the woman who led this class and the videos she showed had us all mortified at the results of the lead foot. I pray in Jesus' Name that the Lord watch over you and protect you and guide you and that the Holy Spirit put a loving watch over your gas pedal. Love, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie
    I signed up for the all day seminar in DesPlaines on May 24th. I will be in MN on May 21- 23 for my grand daughters birthday. What does your schedule look like on the 24th? Can we go to dinner or are you booked?
    Blessings
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, Becky! I can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete